SEND at Hillocks Primary and Nursery School

Our SENDco in school is  Mrs. Charlotte Adams

She can be contacted through the school office on 01623 – 408785.

SEND information Report 2018


At Hillocks Primary School we strive to support all children to enable them to achieve at school. In order to do this, many steps are taken to support them through their learning journey.  For some children there are occasions when further additional support may be needed to help them to make the best possible progress in school.

The four broad ‘areas of need’ are Communication and Interaction, Cognition and Learning, Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties, and Sensory and Physical Needs.


What is the Local Offer?

The LA Local Offer

  • Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.
  • The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.


The School SEND Information Report

This utilizes the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet.


If your child has Special Educational Needs, what can Hillocks Primary School offer you?

We embrace the fact that every child is different, and, therefore, the educational needs of every child are different; this is certainly the case for children with Special Educational Needs.


Who are the best people in school to talk to about my child’s difficulties/ Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND)?

The class teacher

Responsible for

  • Delivering quality first teaching (QFT) – targeted classroom teaching.
  • Providing in class interventions where appropriate, alongside a relevant provision map outlining the support and its impact.
  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo) know as necessary.
  • Writing Pupil Passports – sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.


The SENCo: Mrs C Adams

Responsible for

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy.
  • Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Ensuring that you are
  1. i) Involved in supporting your child’s learning
  2. ii) Kept informed about the support your child is getting on

iii) Involved in reviewing how they are doing.

  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology.
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

Mrs Adams is also a member of the school’s Extended Leadership Team. She also holds the National Award for Special Educational Needs Coordination.


The Acting Head teacher: Mrs M Newcombe

Responsible for

  • The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • The Head teacher will give responsibility to the SENCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • The Head teacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.




The SEN Governor: TBC

Responsible for

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school.

They will meet at least termly with Mrs Adams to discuss provision developments and how best to improve the service. This information is fed back to School Governors.


Teaching Assistants: Mrs M Scott, Mrs L Holmes and Mr C Letch


These TAs are part of the SEND Team. They support Mrs Adams by being the link between the SENCo and the teachers/teaching assistants in each phase. We meet half termly to discuss children, provision, training and SEND updates.


How does Hillocks Primary School know if children need extra help?

We know when pupils need help if:

  • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child
  • Limited progress is being made
  • There is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress


How will I know how Hillocks Primary School will support my child?

  • A Pupil Passport will be written and agreed by the parents, pupil, teacher and SENCo. This will consist of up to three manageable actions which will be reviewed termly.
  • Each pupil’s educational provision will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class.
  • If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, maths and English skills etc. then the pupil will be placed in a small focus group. This will be run by the teacher or teaching assistant. The length of time of this intervention will vary according to need, but will be reviewed to find out if it has been effective and decide where to go next.
  • Mrs Adams receives regular updates from class teachers about the progress of pupils.
  • A pupil may need more expert support from an outside agency. The school or parent can make a referral. The school will support the practitioners involved where possible.


How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

  • Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).


For your child this would mean

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo) are in place to support your child to learn.

Specific group work

Intervention which may be:

  • Run in the classroom or a group room.
  • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).
  • Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENCo/Inclusion Manager/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from

  • Local Authority central services, such SFSS (Schools and Families Support Service) or SBAP (School’s Behaviour and Attendance Partnership).
  • Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS).


What could happen?:

  • You will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.


Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups (“Including All Children” documentation from LA).

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from Local Authority central services or outside agencies.


For your child this would mean

  • The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been made to a panel of professionals (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the panel of professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will need and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child.
  • An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.


How will my child’s progress be measured?

  • Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
  • The Acting Head Teacher, Mrs Newcombe, is also the Assessment Co-ordinator who monitors progress and achievement.
  • If your child is in Reception or above, a more sensitive assessment tool can be used, which shows their attainment in more detail – breaking learning down into smaller steps.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6), all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.
  • Where necessary, children will have a Pupil Passport which will include targets set by outside agencies specific to their needs. These are designed to accelerate learning and narrow any gaps. Progress against these targets will be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgements assessed and a future plan made.
  • The progress of children with an EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education. The school holds interim reviews in between the Annual Review or at the request of parents.
  • The SENCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
  • Regular book scrutinies and lesson observations will be carried out by the SENCo, other members of the Senior Management Team and subject co-ordinators to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is good.


How will I know how my child is doing?

  • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parents’ Evening.
  • Appointments can be made at the school office if you wish to speak in more detail with the class teacher and/or SENCo.  Mrs Adams is available on most Thursdays to meet with parents and professionals.
  • Your child’s Pupil Passport will give you some information about how your child is achieving and progressing.
  • The parents, SENCo and/or class teacher and all other professionals involved will meet
  • If your child has an Early Help Plan, meetings are held every six weeks or more often according to need and circumstances.


How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • The class teacher may suggest ways of how you can support your child.
  • The SENCo can support you also and may have strategies you can use.
  • If outside agencies have been involved with your child; they often provide recommendations for both home and school
  • Occasionally, the school runs workshops for parents to help you support your child with literacy, numeracy and science.
  • Parents play an active part in school life and are always welcome to be a volunteer in school.


What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

Pastoral and emotional support is provided through:

  • Transition/transfer support (Nursery-Reception, KS1 – KS2, Year 6-Y7) are in place for all pupils, but are personalised for SEND pupils
  • The reading room or lunchtime club room are available for children who find lunchtimes a challenge
  • All adults in school have training in Safeguarding.
  • Social Stories are used to support transitions and or can be linked to an area that is causing concern or anxiety for a child


Pupils with medical needs:

  • If a pupil has a medical need than a Care Plan is compiled by the School Nurse in consultation with parents/carers.
  • A number of Supervisory Assistants, teachers and Teaching Assistants have regular First Aid Training and Paediatric First Aid Training.
  • The SENCo is able to access specialist services – see below.


What specialist services and expertise are available to the school?

  • Educational Psychologist
  • Educational Psychology Teachers
  • School Nurse (Reception upwards)/Health Visitor (Nursery pupils)
  • ADHD/ASD Nurse
  • Speech and Language Therapists
  • EAL Team
  • Occupational Therapy and physiotherapy
  • Social Services
  • SBAP
  • CAMHS (Child and Adult Mental Health Services)
  • Family Support Workers
  • LAC Service- support from virtual Head Teacher and team
  • Hearing Impairment Team and Teachers for the Deaf
  • Short Break and Respite Service


What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had?

  • All teachers and TAs have had training on dyslexia, ADHD, ASD, attachment and Safeguarding in the past 12 months (October 2019)
  • SMSAs have received training on ADHD
  • The Cognition and Learning Team have delivered training and advice to Tas on specific children
  • The Speech and Language Therapist has delivered 1:1 training to some TAs.


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

  • Activities and school trips are available to all.
  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate.
  • However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity.


How accessible is the school environment?

  • As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements.
  • Ramps provide access to the school.
  • There are disabled toilets in each block.
  • There are wide doors for access in and around the building.


How will the school prepare and support my child when joining Hillocks Primary School or transferring to a new school?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.


  • If your child is joining us from another school:
  • Your child will be able to visit our school and stay for a taster session, if this is appropriate.
  • The SENCo will liaise with the previous school in preparation for transfer.
  • If your child is moving to another school:
  • We will contact the school SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.


When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. Pupil Passports will be shared with the new teacher.


In Year 6:

  • The SENCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCo of the child’s secondary school. In most cases, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
  • Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

  • The school budgets include money for supporting children with SEND.
  • The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The SEND budget is allocated for each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependent on an individual’s needs.
  • Pupil Premium was introduced in 2011 and is allocated to schools for pupils who have been registered for free school meals (FSM) and at any point in the last 6 years. Schools also receive funding for Looked After and adopted Children.
  • The school can apply to the Local Authority for Top-Up Funding for a pupil if they have a high level of need and costs exceed that which has already been allocated to school funds for that pupil.
  • During examinations SEN pupils may qualify for extra time, someone to write or read for them or have rest breaks.


How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

  • These decisions are made in consultation with the parent, SENCo, Head Teacher and class teacher. Some decisions are informed by advice from outside agency recommendations and termly tracking of pupil progress.


How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education.

This may be through:

  • Discussions with the class teacher
  • Parents’ Evening
  • Discussions and meetings with Mrs Adams and other professionals
  • Parents are encouraged to contribute and/or comment upon their child’s Pupil Passport
  • Parents and pupils are invited to complete feedback questionnaires about the provision their child receives


Who can I contact for further information?

  • If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or are unhappy about something regarding your child’s schooling, please contact the school office to arrange a meeting with the Head Teacher, class teacher or the SENCo, Mrs Adams.